- Dixon N, Smith A, Flint JA, Khanna R, Clark B and Andjelkovic M (2018) An acoustic emission landslide early warning system for communities in low-income and middle-income countries. Landslides. DOI: 10.1007/s10346-018-0977-1. Access here.
- Berg N, Smith A, Russell S, Dixon N, Proudfoot D and Take A (2018) Correlation of acoustic emissions with patterns of movement in an extremely slow moving landslide at Peace River, Alberta, Canada. Canadian Geotechnical Journal. DOI: 10.1139/cgj-2016-0668. Access here.
- Smethurst JA, Smith A, Uhlemann S, Wooff C, Chambers J, Hughes P, Lenart S, Springman SM, Lofroth H and Hughes D (2017) Current and future role of instrumentation and monitoring in the performance of transport infrastructure slopes. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. Access here.
- Smith A, Dixon N, Moore R and Meldrum P (2017) Photographic feature: Acoustic emission monitoring of coastal slopes in NE England, UK. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. Access here.
- Uhlemann S, Chambers J, Wilkinson P, Maurer H, Merritt A, Meldrum P, Kuras O, Gunn D, Smith A and Dijkstra T (2016) 4D imaging of moisture dynamics during landslide reactivation. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface. Access here.
- Smith A, Dixon N and Fowmes G (2016) Early detection of first-time slope failures using acoustic emission measurements: large-scale physical modelling. Géotechnique. 10.1680/geot./15-P-200. Access here.
- Smith A, Dixon N and Fowmes G (2016) Monitoring buried pipe deformation using acoustic emission: quantification of attenuation. International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. doi: 10.1080/19386362.2016.1227581. Access here.
- Wilkinson P, Chambers J, Uhlemann S, Meldrum P, Smith A, Dixon N and Loke MH (2016) Reconstruction of landslide movements by inversion of 4D electrical resistivity tomography monitoring data. Geophysical Research Letters 43 (3), 1166-1174. Access here.
- Uhlemann S, Smith A, Chambers J, Dixon N, Meldrum P, Dijkstra T, Haslam E, Merritt A and Gunn D (2016) Assessment of ground-based monitoring techniques applied to landslide investigations. Geomorphology 253 (1), 438-451. Access here.
- Dixon N, Smith A, Spriggs MP, Ridley A, Meldrum P and Haslam E (2015) Stability monitoring of a rail slope using acoustic emission. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Geotechnical Engineering 168 (5), 373-384. Access here.
- Dixon N, Spriggs MP, Smith A, Meldrum P and Haslam E (2015) Quantification of reactivated landslide behaviour using acoustic emission monitoring. Landslides 12 (3), 549-560. Access here.
- Smith A and Dixon N (2015) Quantification of landslide velocity from active waveguide-generated acoustic emission. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 52 (4), 413-425. Access here.
- Smith A, Dixon N, Meldrum P, Haslam E and Chambers J (2014) Acoustic emission monitoring of a soil slope: Comparisons with continuous deformation measurements. Géotechnique Letters 4 (4), 255-261. Awarded the Institution of Civil Engineers Thomas Telford Premium (Prize for Best Paper in Journal). SNIP: 1.416. Access here.
- Smith A, Dixon N, Meldrum P and Haslam E (2014) Inclinometer casings retrofitted with acoustic real-time monitoring systems. Ground Engineering Magazine, October Issue. Access here.
- Uhlemann S, Chambers J, Wilkinson P, Maurer H, Meldrum P, Gunn D, Smith A and Dijkstra T (2016) Long-term 4D geoelectrical imaging of moisture dynamics in an active landslide. AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco.
- Dixon N, Codeglia D, Smith A, Fowmes G and Meldrum P (2015) An acoustic emission slope displacement rate sensor – case studies. 9th Int. Symp. on Field Measurements in Geomechanics. Sydney, Australia. Access here.
- Dixon N, Moore R, Spriggs MP, Smith A, Meldrum P and Siddle R (2014) Performance of an acoustic emission monitoring system to detect subsurface ground movement at Flat Cliffs, North Yorkshire, UK. IAEG XII Congress, 2, 117-120, Turin. Access here.
- Smith A and Dixon N (2014) Acoustic emission monitoring of active waveguides to quantify slope stability. 13th BGA Young Geotechnical Engineers’ Symposium. University of Manchester. Access here.
- Smith A, Dixon N, Berg N, Take A and Proudfoot D (2014) Listening for Landslides: Method, Measurements and the Peace River Case Study. Geohazards 6. Ontario, 1-10. Access here.
Theses and book chapters
- Smith A (2017) Chapter 7: ‘Landslides’. In: Bosher L and Chmutina K (Eds.) Disaster risk reduction for the built environment: an introduction. Wiley-Blackwell. Access here.
- Smith A, Dixon N, Codeglia D and Fowmes G (2016) An acoustic emission slope displacement rate sensor: Comparisons with established instrumentation. Geotechnical Instrumentation News, December Issue. Access here.
- Smith A (2015) Quantification of slope deformation behaviour using acoustic emission monitoring. PhD Thesis, Loughborough University. Access here.